Wednesday, June 4, 2008

One eternal round.

My oldest daughter and mother of four of my six grandchildren wrote a blog about end of school resolutions, beginning of school resolutions and of course the proverbial New Year's resolutions. I've never thought about it quite so succinctly, but it's true. All three mile posts are endings and beginnings, re-grouping times where hope once again springs eternal. Particularly for mothers, these are the three markers in the year. Time to throw out past failures and start anew!! Here I am in my 28th summer of children getting out of school for vacation and I am gathering my still- at-home progeny (definitely shrinking) around me to map out the summer rules, plan for new heights of achievement and of course stake out time for fun. (I'm not great at that one - I like to be productive and it's hard for me to let go of my work especially if it isn't done - and it never is!) I have been thinking how funny it is that even though past evidence tells me that by the second or third week into the summer the dedicated yard work, piano practicing etc. etc. goes by the way side or at least takes regular detours, somewhere deep inside I believe that THIS summer will be different or at least improved upon the past 27.

The oddest feeling however is to have my oldest daughter doing the same thing with her little brood of offspring. It so funny (in the strange sort of way) to have she and I connected on the extreme ends of this little ritual. This has been my exclusive world and now it's hers. She's coming into it and I am almost out of it.

No comments: