Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I feel the earth shake under my feet....

I find myself feeling unsettled as of late. There is a sense of instability as I read the news and observe what is going on around me both at home and abroad. Climate unrest is unnerving but worse, there's so much divisiveness among mankind. The political landscape is discouraging.

But even more so I am concerned about propensities in my community and nation. The moral grounds are shifting and it's having an effect upon the institutions of society - family, schools, etc. I really am baffled at the connections that people don't seem to be making. How can we eat bitter grapes as a society (greed, dishonesty, cheating, violence, sexual saturation, inane entertainment, 24/7 television diet, lack of discipline, terrible eating habits, instant gratification, materialism, image seeking) and not have the children's teeth set on edge? People's countenances are changing. There's such an obsession with shallowness. The sacrifices necessary for marriage and family are becoming foreign as our children are raised on indulgence. Doesn't anyone see the handwriting on the wall? How many generations can we produce along this vein and not expect to suffer severe consequences? How many pillars can you pull out of the building before the roof collapses.

No comments: