Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Brigham Young

Tonight we (my husband and I) taught the young adult institute of religion class on Brigham Young. (See previous blog on Joseph Smith) Here are a few Brigham tidbits.





Calming the storm


"While traveling on a steamboat on Lake Erie from Fairport, Ohio, to Buffalo, New York, a storm arose and hindered the progress of the ship. He recorded: “The wind rose about one o’clock in the morning. I went upon deck and felt impressed in spirit to pray to the Father, in the name of Jesus, for a forgiveness of my sins, and then I felt to command the winds to cease, and let us go safe on our journey. The winds abated, and I felt to give the glory and honor and praise to that God who rules all things” (Manuscript History, 1801–1844, 58–59).

I liked the fact that he asked for forgiveness of his sins before he commanded the elements to be still.

Honesty

"I do not know that I ever wronged my neighbor, even to the value of a pin,"

He abandoned his work as a painter when in his words, "I had either to be dishonest or quit; and I quit."

Husband and Father:

Miriam, Brigham's wife contracted consumption soon after they were married.

“Brigham Young once remarked that after marriage he worked for half a crown a day when he could not get more; got breakfast for his wife, himself, and the little girls, dressed the children, cleaned up the house, carried his wife to the rocking-chair by the fireplace and left her there until he could return in the evening. When he came home he cooked his own and the
family’s supper, put his wife back to bed and finished up the day’s domestic labours”
(Gates and Widtsoe, The Life Story of Brigham Young, 5).."

A Dream

When Brigham was 15 his younger brother Lorenzo had a vivid dream. In this dream Lorenzo saw a brilliant, gold carriage drawn rapidly by a beautiful pair of white horses:
"It was manifested to me that the Savior was in the carriage and that it was driven by His servant. It stopped near me and the Savior inquired. "Where is your brother Brigham?' After answering His question He inquired about my other brothers, and concerning my father...He stated that He wanted us all, but especially my brother Brigham." (Lion of the Lord by Susan Easton Black and Larry C. Porter.)

After Baptism

"I wanted to thunder and roar out the Gospel to the nations. It burned in my bones like fire pent up....Nothing would satisfy me but to cry abroad in the world, what the Lord was doing in the latter-days...I had to go out and preach, lest my bones should consume within me."


No comments: