Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

Father's Day is something to celebrate when your husband is the parent of 11 children. That also happens to make me the mother of that same flock. Now that the day is past I have a moment to write a note of appreciation to my husband for his willing participation in the raising of our small army. That's 33 years of parenting thus far.

Having such a large family is far from common these days. In fact, eleven is bigger than a big family. It's more like an unheard of head count. I could go on and on about how it's worth all the hassle, it's the been the best part of life, the rewards are overflowing, but instead I will just say that I am grateful my husband is willing to be the loving father to eleven children. And he's not just a parent in name only. He is diligent in his effort to teach, interact, love and support his children. He willingly received each one as they were born into our family. He considers them his best friends and companions.

I once talked with a woman whose husband paid her not to have children. She had two children already and every time she felt a desire to have another one he bought her furniture, remodeled her kitchen, landscaped the backyard if she would decide against it. That conversation haunted me for days. I found myself so completely grateful for my husband and his willingness to give his all to help one more little person get a foothold on life. Happy Father's Day Randy! You definitely deserve the honor.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

May many father's learn from one so dedicated....and can we all hope for a fatherly figure like him one day?