Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Show your true colors....

My children gave me a science lesson the other day. The fall leaves, they said, are the real color of the tree after the summer is gone and the plants are no longer producing chlorophyll. In their decline they "show their true colors."  Interesting, I thought. Maybe people are like that. When the autumn of life arrives and the summer of productivity is through, what is left represents the core of what that person has become. This seems to be true with my Dad. Even through his dementia I can see his core personality by what remains and consistently surfaces. He's a gentleman, even when he's upset. He always stops and lets me go through the door first. He doesn't like to be laughed at.  He does like to be laughed with.  He's honest.  He's always asking me if I have paid for an item as we leave the store and if I am driving the speed limit.  (You would think I was a chronic shoplifter and speed maniac.  I promise I don't shoplift!  I'm getting much better at keeping the speed limit.) He has retained his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He likes to contribute. He likes attention. He has a little bit of showboat in him. He likes being with people. He doesn't like to be alone.  He likes to be doing something. He can sometimes feel insecure.  He feels safer with women than with men.  Those are his true colors. I know that "showing your true colors" traditionally refers to a ship hoisting it's own flag just before attacking another vessel. I think the phrase could also apply to autumn leaves and old age.  It makes you wonder what will surface when you reach that point.  

(Autumn - dotgouldpainting)

No comments: