Thursday, October 22, 2009

Patio - Finally!

When we moved into our house 24 years ago we planned to create a patio sitting area up on the hill in our backyard. F*I*N*A*L*L*Y while Nathanael was home in Aug. with extra hours on his hands, I decided this was the ideal time to conquer the illusive patio project. "Which do I prefer," I asked myself, "A strapping 22 year old lounging in bed or in front of the tv or a hard working soldier boy busting at the seams to flex his muscles and prove his worth." No contest! I put him to work.

I hauled numerous (I lost count) loads of blocks, sand (do it yourself=cheap) and road base gravel (free) in the back of our minivan, no less. (Lay down a tarp, fit in as many plastic storage tubs as you can and shovel it in.) I found some remnant flagstone half-price. Nathanael prepared for basic training by digging out the patio area and carting the blocks, sand, gravel and stone from the driveway into the back yard and up the hill. I told him he could tell his drill sergeant "This is nothing compared to what my Mom had me do!" He laid the foundation of cinder blocks, road base and sand. After he left the end of Aug. I spent most of Sept. laying flagstone as my Dad sat in a lounge chair on the lawn. I thought it turned out fabulously. Here are the pics.








3 comments:

Kimberly Cantrell said...

Looks great! Makes me want to come and sit!

kara said...

It turned out beautiful!

Kristin said...

can I just say...WOW! Beautiful.