Friday, December 5, 2008

And while we are on the subject....


here's a bit of personal reminiscing on Cabbage Patch dolls. Ours, all 13 of them, are in a tub out in my garage. I can't quite bring myself to get rid of them. I've scrubbed them, washed their clothes and put them away for a time when some grandchild is dying to play with them. After all, considering the times (the 80's) and our financial condition as a young family, I paid dearly for them. I think the top price I forked over one Christmas was a whoppin' $45 each which was a real break from the tradition $7 dolls we were used to buying. And $45 was a steal. There were places they were selling for $65.00.

When Cabbage Patches first appeared on the scene I wasn't impressed. They were different and I wasn't going to be a part of this silly craze. Famous last words!! As I saw them in the stores and gazed upon each individual cherubic face with different colored eyes and hair and personality my heart was captured. They reminded me of my children. Of course I wanted to buy each one a doll with their same hair and eye coloring. One doll each grew to multiples - newborns, girls, boys, different skin color. I loved them as much as my kids did.

1 comment:

Lorflor said...

I want my cabbage patch dolls!