Sunday, August 31, 2008

Francis M. Lyman

I found this ditty online today about my 2nd great grandfather Francis M. Lyman who served as an apostle and president of the quorum of the twelve (LDS - Mormon church.) I thought it commendable and worthy of emulation.


…Francis M. Lyman [of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles] had to come from Tooele the night before our meeting and spend one night [in Salt Lake City] and all day in order to be at the meetings of the Presidency and Apostles, which lasted two or three hours, but he never missed one of them.

I said to him one day: “It is remarkable to me that you are so prompt and always present at our meetings.”

He said: “I do not want to miss any inspiration from the Lord; I do not want the Spirit of the Lord to come to me second hand. I want to partake of it, and to feel it, and to realize it, and to know it for myself.”

Heber J. Grant, in the Conference Report, Oct. 1934, 122-123, as quoted in “Teachings of the Presidents of the Church, Heber J. Grant” (Priesthood and Relief Society Manual for 2004).

No comments: