Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I love this picture of my mother-in-law taken last year at my daughter's wedding. There's something timeless and ethereal about it. She was 79 at the time. She has always been healthy and strong. She loves her fruits and veggies and has done yoga for years. Until just recently early mornings found her out hustling along the dike by the lake where she lives. She has a passion for learning new things. And she tries to apply them. All sorts of positive thinking quotes cover her fridge. She passed a love of reading on to as many of us as would grab hold. She is affectionately known as "Grandmother" among those in the "know." (When her first grandchild arrived "Grandma" was just not an option.) She was quite a striking woman in her younger years and still is I think. She carries a presence about her. I have learned much from her and I am grateful for all that she has contributed to my life. Just recently we learned she will not be with us for much longer. It's hard to comprehend. We are all still trying to grasp this difficult reality. The most comforting thought in all this is that she will shortly be joining the love of her life from whom she has been separated for 48 years. I can see the joyful excitement on her face as they are reunited. I will miss her terribly But right now I am thinking about her life and I want to joy in who she is. I love you Grandmother. Thank you.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Sally,
You are absolutely right, it is a beautiful picture of her. I love her very relaxed smile and the way the light makes her glow.