Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to all Mom's everywhere.

Floweers M... is for the million things she gave me,


O... means only that she's growing old,


T... is for the tears she shed to save me,


H... is for her heart of purest gold;


E... is for her eyes, with love-light shining,


R... means right, and right she'll always be.


Put them all together, they spell "MOTHER,"
A word that means the world to me.

--Howard Johnson (c. 1915)

When I was young I squirmed uncomfortably over the words of this little Mother's Day song thinking of all the grief I had caused my mother as well as the grief I perceived she had caused me! And then there were all those times that she thought she was right and I didn't! It's a good thing we get older (and wiser) because now I read those words and think of my sweet, delightful, 92 year old mother (who really is an angel in disguise) and say "Right on!! I love you Mother! Thank you for a lifetime of giving to me. You really do 'Mean the world to me!'"

Do you want to now how Mother's Day began? Check it out.

Yesterday all of my children, (except the one who's away at college), three sons-in-law and one daughter-in-law and five grandchildren gathered to fix a Mother's Day dinner for me. I loved it! We decided the best thing for me to do was exit the scene for a while (less stress and temptation to come to the rescue in the kitchen) and so my husband and I went for a walk by the Provo River. Ideal for a Sunday afternoon in May.

Apparently there was lots of jostling about the kitchen as 14 people (that doesn't include the grandkids) tried to cook. The dinner was delicious and the Creme Brulee was silky smooth. The flowers were gorgeous! But the best part was having all of my wonderful children (and that includes my in-laws) here together. Along with my husband, they are my favorite people in the world. They are talented, beautiful, creative, witty, smart. Really, at least for today, they are perfect.

No comments: