Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Endings...

I've disliked the endings of two of the last three movies I have watched. In my mind, both of them developed a terrific story line and then sold out at the end to the easy fix or the politically correct nod to the current culture. I've decided endings are the hardest part of a good story or poem. An ending needs to be loyal to what has come before. Is that also true of life? Is winding down the last scenes of old age an art as well? Maybe enduring to the end means holding on to quality and dignity even as the "rug" is being pulled out from underneath you.

I also think that refining one's temperament is a good thing to work on during all stages of life if for no other reason than in old age you begin to loose control of your ability not to say exactly what you are thinking and startling things can suddenly pop out here and there. Give me another 15 years and I might reconsider this statement. Perhaps is just dang freeing to spill the beans you have kept under wraps for years. Maybe what seems a little socially jarring to those of us still on the treadmill is really being just fine with what's inside. Hmmm it's something to consider.

My grandma's favorite saying as she was skirting the borders of senility was "My, aren't you just grand!" I like that. It's a good ending!

No comments: