Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Giving of Life



Early in Dec. I was sanding and re-staining our oak stair rail.  It had become worn and the finish needed refurbishing to fit in with the newer decor of the entryway.  It's a beautiful rail and had served us faithfully for 25 years.  I wouldn't even begin to think of replacing it.  It's part of the family.  I sat on the stairs sanding the finish and began to examine the beautiful wood.  I wondered what tree gave it's life for my rail and what forest it had grown in for years before it came to beautify my house.  Though the tree sacrificed it's earthly life years ago it's service and influence had lived on and will for who knows how many more years.  What a wonder!  Those living things that have existed on the earth even hundreds of years ago still have impact upon those living today.  They have filled the measure of their creation in a magnificent way.  I'd like to think we can say the same for our lives?  May they still bring loveliness to generations to come after we are gone.

I had similar thoughts as we perused Christmas tree lots looking for just the right tree to grace the corner of our living room.  All of those trees standing in a row as tree shoppers examine each one with a critical eye were just recently living upon a forested mountainside.  (OK - or on a multi-acred tree farm.  The mountainside is a much more impressive imagination!)   Later as I gazed at our beautifully (to us at least) decorated tree I realized that once again a life had been given so that a reminder of Christ's birth during this Christmas season could be a part of our celebration.  I don't want to take that tree's life for granted.  I wanted to honor it.  Perhaps that's why I have a twinge in my heart each year when we pull off the ornaments and put the tree out to pasture.  It somehow seems wasteful. 

Life is valuable, even the smallest life has a meaning and a purpose.  If I can only remember that on a daily basis my life will be more full.


1 comment:

Sybil said...

I know! I usually insist that after we take down our dear Christmas tree, we "plant" it in the yard where I can see it through the kitchen window. That way I can enjoy it for a few more months, instead of tossing it so abruptly and cruelly aside!