Wednesday, May 13, 2009

...and this little piggy cried "Wee, wee, wee all the way home!"


Monday I dislocated and broke the fourth toe on my left foot climbing a muddy hill above my garden in flip flops. The break is an unstable fracture that angles up into a joint and I am awaiting a call from the orthopedic surgeon telling me whether he thinks I need to have a pin put in. I am voting no pin! In any case, I'm suppose to refrain from putting weight on my toes for 8 weeks. (Yeah, right.) I've decided Heavenly Father must be having some fun here. I've learned to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n as my Dad accompanies me almost everywhere I go. My life is paced very differently than it used to be. Everything is in slow motion interspersed with frenetic moments here and there (Eg. I run downstairs and put in a load of laundry at top speed before he discovers I have left the room and tries to follow me.) Before he comes in the morning and after he leaves at night I'm trying to cover a day's worth of bases. Now I am being shuttled into an even slower pace. I can no longer race down the stairs or dash about the yard. My life is one big hobble here, there and everywhere.

Yesterday we visited Home Depot, one of our daily haunts. There's always some little thing to buy at Home Depot and my Dad worked construction so he enjoys the visit. Usually he rides the electric cart and I walk beside him. This time we both rode carts. (Luckily there were two!) He followed me around the store patiently going along behind me as my cart was slow as tar. Just before we finished my battery fizzled. "Ya want a push?" he asked as he drove up behind me and started pushing my cart. Off we zoomed, out the door and into the parking lot to where our car was parked in the handicap stall. I have really appreciated that two for one hanging tag.

There must be some lesson for me to learn somewhere. I hope I figure it out before I'm flat on my back in a hospital bed (probably next to my Dad.)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh my dear Sally!!!???!!! I am so sorry. This is a favorite 'slow' poem by Eve Merriam called A Lazy Thought

There go the grown ups
To the office,
To the store.
Subway rush,
Traffic crush;
Hurry, scurry,
Worry, flurry.
No wonder
Grownups
Don't grow up
Any more.
It takes a lot
Of slow
To grow.