Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Spirit of At-one-ment

I've just read an essay that has changed my life. (M. Catherine Thomas - Living the Spirit of At-one-ment from Selected Writings of M. Catherine Thomas.) When something is significant for me I like to read with a red pencil in hand. I finally got to the point I practically had to sit on my pencil because I was underlining the entire thing.

This essay is about relationships - with God, and with others - and how the atonement of Jesus Christ is all about bringing together into One that which has been separated. I can't find the essay online so here are a few quotes:

"...the word rendered atonement by the early biblical translators could have been more accurately rendered re-at-one-ment or reunion. Christ wrought the great Reunion."

"The opposition to at-one-ment can seem formidable when we realize how easily in times past we may have traded the spirit of at-one-ment for disturbance."

"As I have watched myself and others, it is sobering to realize how readily we trade inner peace for something less, for some sort of upset; how readily we take offense and then escalte the disturbance around us--in home or office or even church..."

"The Prophet Joseph focused the idea: 'The policy of the wicked spirit is to separate when God has joined together, and unite what He (God) has separated, which the devil has succeeded in doing to admiration in the present state of society.' "

"Is it possible that much of the emotional pain we have comes not from the love we weren't given in the past, but from the love we ourselves aren't giving in the present?"

"Truly we receive what we send out: "For that which ye do send out shall return unto you again and be restored" (Alma 41:15). If we don't like what we're getting in a particular relationship, we may need to check out what we're sending into that relationship."

This is hardly a taste of the goodness of this essay. My hope is to retain in rememberance enough of what I've read to think and act differently at least to some small degree.

2 comments:

Ro Ro Riot said...

J and I were talking about something very similar last night. Thanks for the quotes. They will add something to our discussion.

LHall said...

Thank Rose! So good to hear from you.