Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Joy of the Saints

Peace, Mercy & Joy
By Alva

I have been thinking this past week about a phrase found in the book of Enos from the Book of Mormon.


3 Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

(Book of Mormon | Enos 1:3 - 5)

As I re-read Enos a few days ago that phrase caught my attention and I found myself thinking about it over the next few days.  There is quiet and at times robust joy in attempting to live as a follower of Christ.   It is an inner peace that permeates all of life, even times of sorrow and difficulty.  It is beyond and outside of $$, entertainment and success.  It is found in living and in loving God and all men.  It is a pleasure in the beauty of daily life.  It is joy in the "hope" in Christ.  It is real.  It gives strength. 

No comments: