Sunday, March 28, 2010


"Behold, and hearken, O ye elders of my church, saith the Lord your God, even Jesus Christ, your advocate, who knoweth the weakness of man and how to succor them who are tempted."

This scripture caught my eye and attention a few days ago as I was reading in the Doctrine and Covenants. The Lord is our advocate! He speaks for us in a beneficial manner before the throne of Grace. He's on our side (our better side that is.) He knows our frailties and failings and stupidities. And He knows how to strengthen us. And yes, we are all tempted so we do indeed need that succor.

**********

It has often occurred to me that the word "know" in the scriptural sense is experiential rather than just something learned intellectually. Adam "knew" his wife by experience. The Lord knows the weakness of man through experience. We learn to know the Lord through experience.

**********

“A little boy, I’m told, wrote a letter to God (this is published in a collection of children’s letters). It said, “Dear God, How do you feel about people who don’t believe in you? A friend of mine wants to know.” Recently I was invited to sit in on a graduate class elsewhere–a group most critical and equipped with jaw-breaking terminology and bone-breaking arguments against religion.

At one point I said, “So I’ll know where you’re coming from, would each person here consider: If you had only one question to address to Jesus Christ, what would you ask him?” Well, most of those in the room had a grievance and said that they would ask a kind of “pick-a-fight” question. But one lad, in the corner, didn’t respond, and, having been urged, finally said with a thoughtful smile, “Well, if I had only one question, I would ask, ‘How am I doing?”’ – Truman Madsen, On How We Know

3 comments:

c.j. said...

I couldn't go without saying that I love the painting for this post! I don't believe I've seen it before. Do you know the artist? Also, I loved your pointing out that we know the Lord through experience, as well as how He knows us. Thanks for sharing your beautiful words!

Ro Ro Riot said...

I miss you. I just had to say that.

LHall said...

I love this painting as well and I couldn't find the name of the artist but it's written there if you can find a magnifying glass!