Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Study finds scent influences morality


Clean Smells Promote Moral Behavior, Study Suggests


BYU business prof Katie Liljenquist led a study that found that clean scents lead to more ethical behavior. 

ScienceDaily (Oct. 26, 2009) — People are unconsciously fairer and more generous when they are in clean-smelling environments, according to a soon-to-be published study.   Check it out!

Here's a review of an earlier study conducted connecting physical cleansing with "washing away our sins."  The Lady Macbeth Effect

I am going out tomorrow and buy some citrus scented Windex.  It's time to wash windows anyway.




2 comments:

Sybil said...

A month or so ago I was checking out of Bed Bath & Beyond and noticed a wonderfully clean smell. I bought one of the 99 cent Yankee Candles called Good Air and took it home. Every time I passed it (never lit it, never even took it out of the clear wrapper) it cheered me right up. A week later I went back and bought 4 more. Till I read your post, I didn't realize that I have given up several bad habits as well!

Ro Ro Riot said...

Whoa! That is almost unbelievably interesting.