Wednesday, March 26, 2008

P*E*R*S*O*N*A

I dislike pretense. I want people to be "real." I don't care for "personas." According to Wikipedia, (the place to go for everything) Persona literally means "mask ", although it does not usually refer to a literal mask but to the "social masks" all humans supposedly wear. We all do it to some degree so maybe it's inevitable, but really, I just want to be the same person wherever I am and whoever I am with. Maybe that's why I was never any good at acting nor can I pull off April Fool's jokes. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate some who can act and those who can pull off a joke, but what I don't care for is the little role playing we slip into here and there to impress or to set a stage.

.

2 comments:

Iktomi said...

But dear sally, life is a stage and you are the star in a play called "Hey you, almost a Pisces" You are not an actor but you can be insane at times. You could easily act in a home improvement show as you have provided me with many moments of laughter.
Even my better half chuckles and shakes her head and we do keep your other half in our prayers.
Masks are at times required to obtain acceptance into some lifestyles. I chose to leave those to the plastic people.
Iktomi

LHall said...

Those home improvement moments weren't acting. They were down right real! I guess if we are truly deep- down honest we would all fess up to masks for this or that. And maybe they have their gracious place in the unselfish scope of things in that life could become suffocatingly burdensome if everyone were letting all emotion and thought spill out without any regard for the moment or situation.