Monday, February 25, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLYSHA!

Feb. 25, 1975. Bountiful, Utah. Seven pounds and two ounces.

I have 15 minutes to wish a Happy Birthday to the person who made me a mother. I've always thought the first child to grace a naive set of new parents must be quite brave in nature. I recall quite clearly that 2:00 am ride to the hospital. It was a descent into an abyss of the the unknown. I was excited, relieved it was finally here but terrified at the same time. As the forces of Mother Nature overtook my body I recall the precarious sensation of becoming one with some life force entirely beyond myself. Eight hours and ten minutes later I held the most beautiful baby in my arms. I was enthralled from the first moment and couldn't get enough of those wise baby eyes and all of those miniature fingers and toes.

Thirty three years later I watch my daughter Allysha with her own four children ages six and under. She is as beautiful a mother as she was a baby. I admire her ability to teach her children, to structure their lives and to bring the good and beautiful into their childhood realm. They are all brilliant children (of course!) and watching their their lives unfold is a wonderful second time around only this time from a different vantage point with a little less close-up crunch.

Allysha is insightful, a fabulous writer, a dancer, a listening ear, a wise counselor, smart, artistic and most importantly full of faith. Thanks Allysha for being willing to break new and untried ground and lead the charge. Happy Birthday!! I love you!!!

Allysha and most of her crew...